Thursday, June 21, 2007

Are You the CEO?

After we leave college and join work, all of us are very excited not only about what work we do but also about what others are doing! So, this weekend, one of my friends asked me what I did in my company. He was bemused when I replied, “I’m the CEO.”

Once his eyebrows settled, I explained that it’s not the position I am talking about but the attitude and the passion. When we join a company, most of us feel and behave like ‘employees’. It is understandable as this is what we expect and are told but I have always felt that unless we feel the same ownership and connection with the company which the CEO has, we won’t be able to give our 100% to what we do.

Like a CEO, we should always look at the broader picture; get out of our cubicles sometimes and try to see beyond our projects. We should get a feel of the ‘pulse’ of the company. As one of the first things, one should see what the vision of the company is and how that vision translates into day-to-day activities and most importantly understand how that relates to the work one does. Talking to people who have spent sometime with the company will give you a better idea of this aspect.

Like a CEO, one should also always be ready to speak one’s mind and never think ‘someone else will take care of it’. In a vibrant culture, every perspective adds to the overall understanding of issues and every individual has something to contribute. I have often met people who say that they are too low in the hierarchical ladder to be heard. This, however, is not true. If you have a great idea that can help the company in any way, share it! On the other hand, never be afraid to call a spade a spade! Anything that needs improvement should be improved and who better person than you to initiate that improvement process; after all this is what a CEO would do, right?

Cultivating the ‘I am the CEO’ attitude not only helps you become more confident and strive to make an impact but also helps the company because each of you is a touch-point of the company with the external world. And if each touch-point exhibits the confidence and maturity of a CEO, just imagine the impression the world will have of your company!In the knowledge economy, people are the key assets of any company and though the company tries hard to set up processes and systems to make this asset more productive, it is our responsibility as well to strengthen ourselves in all ways possible and more than anything else we should feel ownership of the company and strive in all ways possible to help the company achieve its goals. Anyone who cultivates this attitude is the CEO of the company in his/her own right.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting perspective. I hope more and more people read this and imbibe the much required positive outlook. Will watch out this space for more gyaan :)

Divyabhanu Singh said...

True Surya! I totally agree! The thing is, people dont realise that anybody could have been hired to do my job!! What is that little extra that i bring to the table. How do i add more value? Afterall, isnt that what doing business is all about - be it software or a multiplex or an airline?

Besides, it also is a great way to gain visibility and in the process build relationships within the organization. The enthusiasm which you show rubs of on people you interact with and only gain in stature within the organization by doing so!! Your credibility builds up! The only caveat is that you need to deliver 'superior performance' all the time!!

Good post! Bravo surya!! :) way to go !

Anonymous said...

Gud one.....this reminded me of a small incident...during my Ranbaxy training days, a person was asked a question...Who are You? His answer was I am Ranbaxy...well...am trying the same attitude from past 4-5 years of my work but yet to reach those salaries....kepp blogging man....

The Maverick Talks said...

hey surya,

nice post and thought provoking too. The problem with people is that after years of work, they get entagnled so much in operational aspects that they just cannot rise up a level and appreciate the strategic aspects or the larger picture.

It is very necessary to have the "I-am-the-CEO" mindset if one has to grow in an organization. Unless you consider your company you own, you will not think about the best interest of the organization.

Prashant

Mayank Rakesh said...

Ahem! that is generally my reaction to any article I read (except my own)... and I think now that u have actually asked for a comment, I shud give a true one... Just correct me if I am wrong (I am not MBA), CEO is the EMPLOYEE of the company... his "vision" is to get more business for the company by giving it a good "market image"...(coz his "variable pay" is attached to it... unlike urs which has more "fixed component") like wise I as an employee have the "mission" to do my work (what I am assigned, and improvise within limits). Now the problem with your theory is that it creates a lot of 'thinkers' and a few 'doers', which in practical terms is an "imbalance". So my dear friend, u do ur work and let the DEO do his... u will get ur chance :) and go through the complicated theory of 'divison of labour' once again! and just in case I was mistaken at any point in any of my assumptions, I apologize :D

Surya Saurabh said...

Hi Mayank,

You are absolutely right that there is division of labor and there shouldnt be just 'thinkers' and not 'doers'.

However, the contention on this post is that even the 'doers' should add more value to what they 'do' by adding the 'thinker' bit in them.

Just like in a boat, if all the rowers start to believe that they need to get to the destination in as little time as possible (which the CEO might think) rather than just get there, the boat will definitely move faster.

Mayank Rakesh said...

U missed the message by far and large sweetoo... the moment u become the thinker... u become a different entity... If I say that I think like you, it does not always mean that we are going in the same direction.

Te boat example is good. Its called "communism". Now think of the boat as the nation and the rowers its MPs (member of the parliament). Can the boat be taken in two different directions at the same time? No. Can anyone even think of rowing the boat in any other way? No. So u have the "Monarchy" of the boat master and not the individual efforts of the rowers.

Now think of the other boats in the competition. That is what happens in real life. You feel that you should have ur own boat to become the boat master, and so u open a new company and then u become the CEO of ur own company, and then u think like the CEO :)

But what do I know. I am just an ordinary boy trying to learn a little in the flat world!

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)